Rauma Marine Constructions Signs Letter Of Intent For A New Ro-Pax Ferry For Vaasa-Umeå
Now it is official: Finnish shipbuilding company Rauma Marine Constructions (RMC) has signed a letter of intent with Kvarken Link for the construction of one ro-pax ferry. The LOI was signed in October 2018 but has only been announced now.
- Route Vaasa (Finland) – Umeå (Sweden)
- Order value EUR 120 million
- Final agreement to be signed in early 2019
- Vessel running on dual fuel, diesel + LNG/ biogas + batteries, connected to azimuth pods
- 800 passengers
- Freight capacity of 1,500 lane metres on 2 cargo decks, drive through
- ice class 1A Super
- Delivery will take place latest 30 April 2021
Kvarken Link is owned by the city of Umeå and the city of Vaasa, both of whom serve as guarantors of the financing.
RMC’s first newbuilding is HAMMERSHUS, from Molslinjen. She began operating in September. In comparison, the new ferry between Vaasa and Umeå will house more cabin space, as well as a more varied restaurant offering, to name just a few extra touches.