- Hansa Destinations (Gotlandsbolaget) has been running the service between Nynäshamn-Visby-Rostock since August 2021. Now, the company informs that they will not be continuing the traffic during 2023.
- The background to the decision is foremost, the high cost of fuel.
- The goal has been to offer freight customers, but also passengers, an effective and sustainable solution for transport and travel between the continent and the greater Stockholm area. The move from road to sea represents a major environmental benefit as well as a needed decrease of trucks on roads.
- “We do not have a sound business case. The low numbers of cargo volumes have also meant that the environmental benefits that have been our goal, have not been achieved”, says Håkan Johansson, CEO at Gotlandsbolaget.
- The traffic will end after the arrival of ELIANA MARINO will be in Rostock on December 18, 2022, and of DROTTEN in Nynäshamn on January 4 2023. Customers and partners are being contacted.
CADENA 3 has been chartered by Hansa Destinations for the Rostock — Nynäshamn route, in replacement of ELIANA MARINO.
Hansa Destinations operate six days a week in each direction between Rostock and Nynäshamn. Departure from both ports is at 19:00, with arrival in early afternoon the following day. [schedule]
Exactly one year ago (30 August 2021), Gotlandsbolaget’s Hansa Destinations launched its new 18-hour ferry service between Nynäshamn and Rostock.
In May 2022, the service was expanded with daily departures. Interest among passengers has so far exceeded expectations, although the switch of freight traffic from road to sea has been slower than Gotlandsbolaget had hoped.
‘Hansa Destinations’ doubles freight capacity and frequency between Nynäshamn and Rostock by adding a roro vessel.
Hansa Destinations fleet as from end of April:
Ship: roro ELIANA MARINO 2,500 lane metres, 12 drivers
Ship: ropax DROTTEN
Frequency goes from three to six departures a week in both directions.
Hansa Destinations’ ferry DROTTEN departed for the first time from Nynäshamn to Rostock on Monday 30 August.
Swedish Minister of the Environment and Climate Per Bolund attended the inauguration ceremony in Nynäshamn.
The ceremony was attended by Per Bolund, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Environment and Climate, Pia Berglund, National Coordinator for Domestic Shipping and Eco Bonus at the Swedish Transport Administration, Fredrik Lindstål, Chairman of the Port of Stockholm Ports and Harry Bouveng, Chairman of the Municipal Board in Nynäshamn Municipality, and Håkan Johansson, CEO of Rederi AB Gotland.
As announced in week 9, Rederi AB Gotland is going ahead with a new ropax ferry route between Nynäshamn (Stockholm) – Rostock
- Name: Hansa Destinations
- Starts at the end of August.
- The new route provides logistics companies with an additional choice of transportation while reducing emissions by encouraging a modal shift from road to sea.
- Initially one vessel: DROTTEN
- Selected sailings will also call at Visby on the island of Gotland.
- Sailing time: 18 hours
- It was awarded government funding in its start-up phase under Sweden’s Eco-bonus scheme, as part of efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.