Paris, Tuesday 20 July 2021
During a French press conference, Brittany Ferries announced the agreement with Stena RoRo for the construction of two new hybrid E-Flexers of a new generation.
- To be used on Channel routes from Saint-Malo (region Brittany) and Ouistreham (region Normandy) to Portsmouth.
- New generation of E-Flexers: shortened version (194m) because of port restrictions
- Hybrid: LNG + battery + Shore power
- Ten-year charter from Stena RoRo with purchase option after four years
- Strong financial involvement of regions Bretagne (SOMABRET) and Normandy (SOMANOR)
- To be delivered in 2024 and 2025
- They will replace the ferries NORMANDIE (1992) and BRETAGNE (1989)
BARFLEUR (1992) will be replaced by COTENTIN, which will be rebuilt from roro to ropax (still a project, to be confirmed). COTENTIN is a near-sister of ARMORIQUE.