DFDS is opening a new route between Calais and Sheerness in response to increasing demand for additional ferry capacity for unaccompanied freight between France and the UK.
- 1st departure is planned for 1 June 2021
- 1 daily round trip operating 7/7
- 1 roro ship: GOTHIA SEAWAYS (160 trailers)
- Sheerness is located around 70km north of Dover and thus closer to the London area
- Most of the unaccompanied freight carried today by DFDS ropaxes on Dover-Calais and Dover-Dunkirk, is expected to be transferred to the new route
- In combination with the rail infrastructure in Calais, the market for rail solutions for freight from Italy, Spain and southern France to the UK is it expected to grow
- Also: intermodal transport solution between Turkey and the UK by combining the freight ferry route to Sète with rail transport to Calais