DFDS: Collaboration With Volvo Trucks On Autonomous Transport Between Logistics Centre And Port Terminal
DFDS has entered into a collaboration with Volvo Trucks concerning their electric, connected and autonomous vehicle Vera.
The aim is to develop and test an integrated solution for transporting goods from a logistics centre to a port terminal in Gothenburg, Sweden, using Vera.
Facts about the Vera project:
- The assignment is to move containers from a DFDS logistics centre in Gothenburg to an APM terminal in the port according to needed capacity.
- The autonomous system is monitored by an operator in a control tower who is also responsible for the transport.
- The solution is suited for repetitive flows with a maximum speed of 40 km/h.
- Infrastructure adaptations are part of the scope in the implementation of the total transport system, including automated gates at the terminals.
- Volvo Trucks and DFDS are main partners but several actors are involved in implementing Vera’s first assignment.
- The initiative is carried out with support from the Swedish Innovation Agency Vinnova, the Swedish Transport Administration and the Swedish Energy Agency through the Strategic vehicle research and innovation programme FFI.