- Hansa Destinations (Gotlandsbolaget) has been running the service between Nynäshamn-Visby-Rostock since August 2021. Now, the company informs that they will not be continuing the traffic during 2023.
- The background to the decision is foremost, the high cost of fuel.
- The goal has been to offer freight customers, but also passengers, an effective and sustainable solution for transport and travel between the continent and the greater Stockholm area. The move from road to sea represents a major environmental benefit as well as a needed decrease of trucks on roads.
- “We do not have a sound business case. The low numbers of cargo volumes have also meant that the environmental benefits that have been our goal, have not been achieved”, says Håkan Johansson, CEO at Gotlandsbolaget.
- The traffic will end after the arrival of ELIANA MARINO will be in Rostock on December 18, 2022, and of DROTTEN in Nynäshamn on January 4 2023. Customers and partners are being contacted.
‘Hansa Destinations’ doubles freight capacity and frequency between Nynäshamn and Rostock by adding a roro vessel.
Hansa Destinations fleet as from end of April:
Ship: roro ELIANA MARINO 2,500 lane metres, 12 drivers
Ship: ropax DROTTEN
Frequency goes from three to six departures a week in both directions.
HansaDestinations will start its new service from Nynäshamn to Rostock on August 30.
The timetable is now online. The crossing will take 18 hours.
The line will be operated by ropax DROTTEN, which has a capacity of 1,650 lane metres and 1,400 passengers. On departures from Rostock on Tuesdays and from Nynäshamn on Wednesdays, the number of passengers that the ship can accommodate will be limited.