Green ambitions: already, the operator offers electric car and bicycle hire to its clients. Furthermore, Norden-Frisia is installing solar panels and wind turbines to its car parking facilities.
- Was looking for: a fast(er) ferry for those people who are not dependent on transporting a vehicle.
- Going to the next level: the construction of a fully electric vessel that would be able to transport 150 passengers from Norddeich to the island of Norderney, quickly, cleanly and in optimal comfort.
- Reederei Norden-Frisia reached out to Damen for vessel + charging infrastructure and mooring solutions.
- A tailored approach: the route that the ferry will operate required Damen to develop a completely new vessel – the Damen Fast Ferry (FFE) 3209 – known as the E-Cat Ferry.
- Challenges: maximum draft max 1.2m – maximum speed 16 knots (UNESCO area) – 1h crossing (instead of 2) and 30 Minutes charging.
- Hull to be constructed at Damen’s yard in Kozle, Poland.
- Outfitting in Damen Shipyards Gorinchem.
Delivery to Norden-Frisia in May 2024.