February 8, 2018
- ORTC (Observatoire Régional des Transports de la Corse) published the first statistics for the year 2017. Some highlights:
- Total of ferry passengers: 4,144,614 (+2.1%)
- Total of airborne passengers: 4,025,727 (+9.7%) from which 241,744 came with low-cost flights.
- Several ports, both in Corsica and on the Continent saw a progression in passenger traffic. Ajaccio +5%, Bastia +2%, Marseille +8% (but Nice -9%), Genoa +14%.
- The ferry port of Porto Vecchio and the airports of Ajaccio, Bastia, Calvi and Figari have set new records.
- On the ro-ro freight side, most ports saw an increase. Only Toulon, on mainland France, went down -8%. Marseille is the most important mainland French port for freight.
- Corsica Linea is the biggest freight carrier, and saw month after month a steady increase. Second is La Meridionale, followed by Corsica Ferries.
All statistics can be found on the old-style (and in French) ORTC website under ‘publications’.
Photo: Mike Louagie