Port of Zeebrugge: Growth of 3% in 2020
Zeebrugge stayed 100% operational during the pandemic. Roro traffic suffered because of the reduced handling of new cars. This drop was compensated by a strong growth in container traffic, LNG and solid bulk.
The port took a lot of initiatives to be Brexit-proof and invested twice as much into new infrastructure.
Modal shift: the port sees an important growth of rail connections, and estuary waterway connections went up 4.2%
- Added a call in Zeebrugge on the route Leixões – Rotterdam, allowing cargo to be transferred to Esbjerg and Göteborg.
- Zeebrugge – Dublin: from 2 to 3 sailings with so-called “Brexit busters”
- Zeebrugge – Cork: new route
- Zeebrugge – Santander: ships VALENTINE en CELANDINE = +40% capacity
- End of ropax service Zeebrugge – Hull, means end of accompanied freight
- Introduction of FLANDRIA SEAWAYS on 4 October 2020, Zeebrugge – Göteborg
Read the full report