“We should not hide that the winter will be difficult. We have collected less ‘in the barns’ this year than we usually have,” says Rederi Ab Eckerö’s CEO, Björn Blomqvist in a radio interview on Ålandsradio.
This article (in Swedish) summarises the shareholder uprising against the Mansén family in Rederi Ab Eckerö, lead by Businessman Johan Eklund.
The reason for the conflict is the corona crisis that caused bankers and the Ministry of Finance to demand a capital injection. Not because the equity is bad, the equity ratio is strong 50 percent. The Ministry of Finance and the banks want to see that there is also a determination among the owners to save the company.
Eklund is ready to guarantee a new share issue of EUR 10 million together with a handful of other shareholders, but only if the owner family Mansén waives the right to exercise their subscription rights.
News from the Eckerö side:
- Rederi Ab Eckerö has signed a letter of intent to acquire P&O Ferries’ ro-pax EUROPEAN ENDEAVOUR.
- The sturdy Spanish-built vessel will be chartered her out to subsidiary Eckerö Line, for a new twice-daily service Helsinki Vuosaari – Tallinn, to cope with the increased cargo and passenger car traffic.
- Finnish flag.
- 2,130 lane metres / 366 pax.
- Crossing time 3 hours.
- The ferry will start operating from Helsinki’s Vuosaari to Tallinn’s A terminal in summer.
- Vuosaari is a place east of Helsinki. Having the service operating from this terminal will help to reduce the traffic congestion in the centre of Helsinki.
- Eckerö will continue to operate ro-pax ferry FINLANDIA from the terminal in Helsinki.
News from P&O Ferries:
- Ro-ro vessel MISTRAL, which has been covering the Liverpool – Dublin route during the refit season, will remain on the route so there will be no immediate change to the frequency of the P&O sailings.
- MISTRAL = 1,625 lane metre / 12 drivers.
- Other ships on P&O’s Liverpool – Dublin service: NORBANK/NORBAY
On Day 1 of the Ferry Shipping Summit, Irish Ferries got the award for the “Ferry of the Year 2019” (see special edition of this newsletter).
Let us have a closer look at the award winner. Ladies and gentlemen, here is W.B. YEATS!
Rederi Ab Eckerö, based in the Åland Islands province of Finland, is a company with a diverse portfolio: two ferry lines, a cruise line, a roro cargo tonnage provider and even a bus company. Ferry Shipping News’, Finland-based freelance correspondent, Kalle Id, had a question and answer session with Björn Blomqvist, the managing director Rederi Ab Eckerö, in the cargo offices of the company’s Finland-Estonia subsidiary Eckerö Line in Helsinki last week.