- One billion zlotys (EUR 220 million) for the construction of 3+1 ropax ferries for PŻM and PŻB.
- Signing of the notarial deed on Tuesday 14 September for the creation of company Polskie Promy, established for this circumstance and representing the two shipowners.
- Polish Deputy Minister of Infrastructure Marek Gróbarczyk said that it was a continuation of the “Batory” project.
After two failed attempts of public tenders for the maritime continuity on the Civitavecchia – Arbatax – Cagliari route between Sardinia island and Italy mainland, the Italian transport ministry is desperately trying to reactivate the line which had been operated by Tirrenia Cin until last September 15th.
Once the subsidised period expired, the Moby-controlled company stopped the service and now the local government is talking with all the ferry companies potentially interested at operating the line.
It seems among them there is also Corsica Ferries which expressed its interest in partnership with Grendi Trasporti Marittimi, but also Grimaldi, Grandi Navi Veloci and Tirrenia Cin are in talks with the ministry.
Both the previous public tenders failed for several reasons, both financial (not enough public money offered) and operative since the requested stop in the port of Arbatax is considered inefficient and worthless by the companies.
Tirrenia Cin has redelivered the roro MASSIMO MURA which has been operated in bare boat charter from CLdN for the last four years.
There was a purchase option which has not been exercised.
The vessel is currently moored in Catania waiting for instructions.
In this same week, Grendi Trasporti Marittimi also confirmed that the CLdN roro unit SEVERINE will be redelivered next week after a 12-month charter.
She will be replaced by WEDELLSBORG, to be deployed on the Sardinia (Cagliari and Porto Torres) and Tuscany (Marina di Carrara) link.
The decision by the Italian government to potentially extend the EUR 72 million of subsidies to Compagnia Italiana di Navigazione (part of Moby group) until 31 July 2021, but probably even beyond, was not appreciated by several ro-ro and ferry operators in Italy.
One of them Antonio Musso, CEO of Grendi Trasporti Marittimi, said to the local media Port News: “The 12-month extension of the subsidies to Tirrenia-Cin is nonsense and devastating for the economic equilibrium of the maritime transport market between Italy mainland and Sardinia”. He added: “Today the essential links to and from the major islands are guaranteed by several private operators on all the routes. I hope that the European Commission will intervene on the subject, otherwise we will do it: there are enough elements to oppose a contribution that clearly distorts competition”. Thus, Grendi seems to be ready to take the case to the Italian Antitrust Authority or to the Administrative Regional Court of Lazio.
Generally speaking, also Emanuele Grimaldi recently said he would react to any form of public support to unhealthy ferry companies, which may distort competition.