- AtB (Trøndelag’s mobility company) awarded tender contracts to Norled for three vessels starting in January 2024.
- Brødrene Aa will build the ferries, marking their largest single contract valued at NOK 420 million.
- Two ferries will operate the Trondheim-Kristiansund route, while the third will serve the Trondheim-Brekstad route on Ørlandet.
- The fast ferries will utilize the battery replacement solution SHIFTR, allowing for scheduled battery pack exchanges with fully charged ones.
- The SHIFTR system is a result of a Pilot-E development project led by Norled, involving Brødrene Aa.
- The exchange solution will be piloted on two existing Brødrene Aa-built boats, BARONEN and BARONESSEN, which will be converted to fully electric operation.
- This marks the first regular use of SHIFTR on a route, following the formal contract between Brødrene Aa, Norled, and the conversion of the two vessels.
- Torghatten and the autonomy supplier Zeabuz are behind the project of the first autonomous passenger ferry for commercial operation that will run in the middle of Stockholm.
- Electric catamaran with a capacity of 25 people. I
- Scheduled to be completed in April 2023.
- The boat will operate a route between Kungsholmen and Søder Mellarstrand in Stockholm, with 15 hours of continuous electric operation each day.
- The boat will be 12 meters long and will have an open, covered passenger deck with boarding and disembarking at both ends.
- At first, the boat will always be led by a captain on board, while the trip will be monitored from a control room.
- In the long term, the idea is that everything will be controlled from the control room on land.
Brødrene Aa, Norway has a new contract for 3 high-speed carbon fiber catamaran ferries for the Chinese market. The customer, Zhongshan-Hong Kong Passenger Shipping Co-op Co., Ltd, will be operating the ferries between Hong Kong and Guangzhou.
Two of the vessels will be 42m long with a capacity for 300 passengers and operating speed of 40 knots. The third vessel will also be 42m long but with capacity of 230 passengers and operating speed of 37 knots.
All 3 will be delivered in Hong Kong by June 2019.
“This contract represents an important milestone in our efforts to penetrate the Chinese market”, said CEO Tor Øyvin Aa.
In 2015, Chinese Chu Kong Shipping made an equity investment in Brødrene Aa. In this partnership one objective was to establish a joint composite manufacturing facility in China as well as providing market opportunities for completed vessel from Brødrene Aa’s yard in Norway