May 19, 2023
- AtB (Trøndelag’s mobility company) awarded tender contracts to Norled for three vessels starting in January 2024.
- Brødrene Aa will build the ferries, marking their largest single contract valued at NOK 420 million.
- Two ferries will operate the Trondheim-Kristiansund route, while the third will serve the Trondheim-Brekstad route on Ørlandet.
- The fast ferries will utilize the battery replacement solution SHIFTR, allowing for scheduled battery pack exchanges with fully charged ones.
- The SHIFTR system is a result of a Pilot-E development project led by Norled, involving Brødrene Aa.
- The exchange solution will be piloted on two existing Brødrene Aa-built boats, BARONEN and BARONESSEN, which will be converted to fully electric operation.
- This marks the first regular use of SHIFTR on a route, following the formal contract between Brødrene Aa, Norled, and the conversion of the two vessels.