February 11, 2021
Stena Line plans to start operating two fossil-free battery powered vessels on the 50-nautical-mile route between Gothenburg and Frederikshavn no later than 2030.
- Plan is to order first vessel latest in 2025
- STENA ELEKTRA will be the world’s first fossil-free ferry of its size
- 200m, 1000 passengers, 3,000 lane metres freight capacity
- Will run on battery power for approximately 50 nautical miles, the distance between Gothenburg and Frederikshavn
- The battery capacity will need to be approximately 60-70 MWh and the vessel will be charged in port
- Stena Line also looking into combining the electrification with other alternative fossil free fuels such as fuel cells, hydrogen and bio methanol for longer reach of the vessels