At Brødrene Aa’s shipyard in Hyen, two carbon fibre high-speed vessels are under construction, and the first vessel was recently launched and set afloat. These cutting-edge vessels will operate on 70% electric power, designed to navigate the demanding seas off Bodø.
- Catamarans capable of running for two hours at 28 knots on battery power (= almost 60 nautical miles)
- Designed to maintain a speed of 30 knots in 2.5-metre waves.
- The challenge is to balance battery weight, passenger and cargo capacity, speed, and seaworthiness.
- 40 metres in length and 10.3 metres in width.
- Up to 130 passengers.
- Designed for passenger transport in Væran and Gildeskål, but also capable of carrying various cargo types, including fish, bicycles, and kayaks.
- Equipped with a specialized cold room and loading cranes for fish transport.
Photo: Arve Svenning