January 19, 2024
Damen Shipyards Group has been selected to build four new hybrid electric Island Class vessels for BC Ferries.
- Damen that previously built six Island Class ferries for BC Ferries, will construct the vessels in Romania.
- The selection of Damen’s bid was made from multiple proposals, with no Canadian companies submitting bids.
- The agreement with Damen is a design-build, fixed-priced contract that ensures delivery dates, performance criteria, cost certainty, and construction quality.
- The new Island Class vessels will accommodate at least 47 vehicles and up to 390 passengers and crew.
- These vessels will align with BC Ferries’ Clean Futures Plan by operating exclusively in battery-electric mode using renewable BC hydroelectricity.
- The expected launch of these vessels is by 2027, serving routes connecting Nanaimo Harbour and Gabriola Island (two vessels) and Campbell River and Quadra Island (two vessels).
- BC Ferries will also implement electrical upgrades for shore-based rapid charging at the four terminals on these routes as part of a separate contract, timed to coincide with the ship delivery.
Rendering Damen Shipyard Group