May 13, 2021
A document published by the Italian transport ministry and focused on cost and opportunities to build up a new bridge on the Strait of Messina, revealed some interesting news about the fleet renewal program soon to be launched by Ferrovie dello Stato group which owns some roro and ropax ships trough RFI and BluJet companies.
- Refitting and hybridization of the 2013-built ferry MESSINA
- Delivery of the new ship IGINIA scheduled for next September and currently under construction at San Giorgio Shipyard in Genoa (she will replace the ferry VILLA)
- Purchase of a new ship before 2025
- Cold ironing system ashore in the ports on the two sides of the Strait of Messina
- Project to buy three high-speed vessels dual-fuel LNG or Electric for passenger transport service