April 25, 2019
Four Big New Ice-Class Freight Ferries For A New Swedish Shipping Company
- WALLENIUS SOL: a new shipping company founded by Wallenius and Swedish Orient Line to cope with the increasing volumes of goods being transported from the Gulf of Bothnia.
- Initially it is SOL’s current business that is transferred to the new company (with exception of Med and TransProCon). Bookings are redirected to SOL Continent’s website.
- Route: Five ports in the Gulf of Bothnia – Germany (Travemünde/Lübeck) – Belgium (Zeebrugge/Antwerp) – UK.
- WALLENIUS SOL started its operations on April 12, 2019. Main office is located in Gothenburg.
- Initial fleet consists of five vessels: BALTICA, TAVASTLAND, THULELAND, TUNDRALAND and VASALAND.
- The company will transport forestry products and other goods.
- First customers to sign long-term agreements are Stora Enso and Metsä Board.
- Four new ro-ro ferries have been ordered at the CIMC Raffles Yard in China, with a delivery planned for 2021.
- Ice class 1A Super
- LNG-powered, 241.7m long, 5,800 lane metre, designed by Knud E Hansen.