June 10, 2021
- Scottish-led HySeas III project aims to build Europe’s first ferry powered by hydrogen fuel cells.
- The contract has been awarded to Aqualisbraemar LOC Group by Caledonian Maritime Assets Ltd (CMAL), one of the partners in the EU-funded HySeas III programme.
- The plan is to demonstrate that hydrogen fuel cells can be successfully integrated with a marine hybrid electric drive system, along with the hydrogen storage and bunkering arrangements.
- Fuel cells of this type are currently used in road transport and can be found in hundreds of hydrogen-fuelled buses across Europe.
- The HySeas III project will develop, construct, test and validate data in a full-sized drive train, the group of components that make up a motor vehicle, on land.
- If successful, it will pave the way for the first seagoing vessel that uses this fuel technology.