- For the first time, the EBITDA has topped 100 million euros, thanks to cost containment measures, more efficient management, and the good performance of fuel prices in the first three quarters of the year.
- The company achieved a social cash flow of 576 million euros, 9% more than the previous year.
- Passenger traffic grew compared to 2020, mainly on domestic routes, but is still below pre-pandemic figures due to the border closures in North Africa.
- 2,911,000 people and 765,000 vehicles travelled with Baleària in 2021, 38% and 29% more respectively than in 2020, but well below pre-pandemic traffic levels (-34% and -28% respectively).
- In 2021, freight transport grew by 15%. Of the 6,584,000 linear metres transported, 24% were on international routes, which recorded the strongest growth (+17% compared to the previous year and +48% compared to 2019), especially the lines serving Morocco, on which only freight transport was permitted.
- The commitment to being a responsible company, sustainability and digitalisation are the main lines of action.
Baleària’s 2021 results show that the shipping company has been able to overcome a complex situation marked by the pandemic and growing competition. The 103 million euros of EBITDA have enabled the company to offset the 15 million euros of losses from the previous year, repay debt, consolidate its solvency, and continue with the scheduled investment plan.