October 24, 2022
During a conference organized by the Italian shipowners’ association Assarmatori in Livorno, CEO Achille Onorato said to Ferry Shipping News:
- Moby is preparing a new plan for investments into the retrofit of some ships in the company’s fleet. It will be presented in two weeks’ time.
- Also considering a project for building new ships for Toremar.
- The Italian Government put on the table some EUR 500 million, aimed at renovating the tonnage deployed on the cabotage market. Half of the funds coming from the EU Next Gen Program are for newbuilding projects and the remaining half for investments in retrofit.
- Commenting on the ongoing year, Achille Onorato just said that “the current warm climate in Italy is offering a sort of second season thus resulting in high numbers of passengers travelling to and from the islands” (Sardinia and Elba).
- Last but not least, both new ferries under construction in China are set to enter service on the Livorno – Olbia route in H1, 2023.