- Cargo handling increased by 8.25 % in H1
- Of the 100,000 trucks and trailers handled, more than half were unaccompanied for the first time.
- The largest increases were recorded on the routes to Gothenburg and to Klaipeda. In total, 3.66 million tonnes of freight were handled in Kiel in the first half of the year.
- The strongest part the Ostuferhafen with the forest products and logistics centre. (DFDS: 9 departures / week).
- Restart in June of Kiel – Oslo route by Color Line.
Ferry NESVIK left the Westcon Yards to start its career with Norled.
The electric ferry has been designed by LMG Marin. It will be used on Hjelmeland-Nesvik-Skipavikis. This is a ferry route which crosses the Hjelmelandsfjord and Ombofjord in Rogaland, Norway.
NESVIK is the sister ferry to HYDRA, which is also being built at Westcon. Both vessels are designed to use as little energy as possible. HYDRA will be the world’s first hydrogen-powered ferry, but NESVIK can also be upgraded to hydrogen in the long term.
Norwegian Westcon Yards recently signed a contract with Fjord1 for the hybridization of three 120-car ferries.
Sister vessel FANNEFJORD. was already converted in 2016. It was the world’s first LNG-battery hybrid ferry in operation.