The European Commission has approved the acquisition of sole control over Molslinjen by EQT Fund Management.
- Last year Estonian company TS Laevad served a total of nearly 2 million passengers (-18%) and a bit less than a million vehicles
- Traffic was especially affected by Covid-19 from mid-March until beginning of May, with 92% less passengers than the year before
- As the restrictions eased, the number of passengers began to recover rapidly, exceeding the 2019 level by 1% in August – October
- Virtsu – Kuivastu: -20.6% passengers (1,408,920) and -9.9% cars (692,992)
- Rohuküla – Heltermaa: +4% lorries, -8.9% passengers (566,986) and -2.5% cars (276,964)
Ferry operator TS Laevad and the Estonian Road Administration signed an agreement with the aim of performing at least 500 additional voyages on the Virtsu-Kuivastu route each year in the period 1 June 2020 – 30 September 2026.
Since it is not possible to do this with the existing fleet during the peak season, it is necessary to acquire a new additional ferry for the route.
According to the state’s wishes, the vessel must be environmentally friendly, have an ice class and an on-board shop, and can also be used on the Rohuküla-Heltermaa line with low sea level. The total length of a suitable ferry is up to 114m, draft about 3.5m, capacity approximately 300 passengers and 110-120 passenger cars or 8 semi-trailer trucks with a length of 19m.
TS Laevad plans to organize a tender for the construction of the additional ferry in the second half of 2020 after the completion of the design work.
Due to continuously increasing demand on the Virtsu – Kuivastu ferry line, the Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications authorized the Estonian Road Administration to negotiate with OÜ TS Laevad, a subsidiary of AS Tallinna Sadam, to acquire an additional new-built ferry.
Subject to the results of further analyses and negotiations, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications has set the goal for the Road Administration to conclude an agreement with TS Laevad by 31.03.2020 on the terms and conditions for acquiring and operating the new vessel.