February 3, 2022
- Trade through Belfast Harbour has benefitted from an increase in global trade, the restart of domestic travel and cruise tourism and investment in new infrastructure projects during 2021.
- +9% (25.6m tonnes handled)
- +12% RoRo freight (almost 600k freight units), following significant investment in terminals and facilities and demonstrating the importance of Stena Line’s freight traffic routes to Scotland and England to the local economy.
- +15% container traffic (highest level since 2008)
- +69% ferry passengers (1.5 million people), with routes benefitting from the easing of travel restrictions and the growth in the ‘Staycation’ market.
- Stena Line’s Belfast to Liverpool route proved particularly popular as over 400,000 passengers used the service in 2021, up over 150% on 2020 levels.
Source: Belfast Harbour