October 24, 2022
- Standardized designs are available to the market, providing good results on various routes.
- Difficulties arise when sailing distances increase and berthing times are shorter.
- In these demanding situations, the standard green ferry designs do not provide a feasible solution.
Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam has recently taken the challenge and designed two green ferries.
- The routes of both vessels required non-standard solutions to match the operational requirements, meaning long distance and severe weather conditions.
- Design 1: an electric ferry with a state-of-art battery system and optimized hull shape for
- Design 2: a double-ended ferry, outfitted with a hydrogen-powered electrical propulsion system.