COVID-19 had a significant impact on first quarter results (April-May-June)
- Net losses CAD 62 million (net earnings CAD 12.2 million)
- Revenue CAD 137.4 million (CAD 246.4 million)
At the outset of the pandemic, ferry traffic dropped dramatically and was down 75 to 80% across the system in a matter of days. With the easing of travel restrictions, traffic at the end of June partially recovered and was down approximately 35% compared to this period last year.
- -11.4% round trips 18,249.5
- -61.5% passengers 2.2 million
- -46.7% vehicles 1.3 million
BC Ferries is one of the entities included in the federal government’s transit funding of $540 million in response to the impact of COVID-19. This transit funding is to be matched equally by the Province for a total funding envelope of CAD 1.08 billion.