One more ferry veteran to operate on Red Sea route

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

Former Bass Strait ro-pax BRIDGE (built in 1976 as BASS TRADER and known in Europe as MERCEDES DEL MAR, Iscomar, and BLUE BRIDGE, Blue Ferries) has left Albania, bound for Port Said. Her new name, DUBA BRIDGE, says it all about her new role. As many other European ferry veterans, she will operate on the Duba (Saudi-Arabia) – Safaga (Egypt) Red Sea route.

Photo © Neven Jerkovic

LHG gets funds for it’s RoRo-Hafen-4.0 platform

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

The German Federal Ministry for Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) has awarded LHG (Ports of Lübeck and Travemünde) funding from the Innovative Port Technologies (IHATEC) program.
Together with the University of Lübeck, LHG is working as a consortium leader on a concept for an integrated booking and disposition platform “RoRo-Hafen-4.0”.
The aim of the project is to control the flow of information along entire transport chains and make it available to all parties involved. A feasibility study can now be started.

Photo © Mike Louagie

Major refurbishment for Isle of Wight ferry RED EAGLE

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

Red Funnel is going to spend £3m on a major refurbishment of its ro-pax ferry RED EAGLE in the New Year.
The work will be similar to the new look given to RED FALCON and RED OSPREY in 2014 and 2015. The main contract has been awarded to Trimline in Southampton, with aluminium fabrication work contracted to Wight Shipyard Ltd in East Cowes. The refit will be carried out in Southampton.

Photo © Red Funnel

Koncept Stockholm awarded the design of the new Viking Line ferry

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

Viking Line disclosed that the new cruise ferry, being built by Xiamen Shipbuilding Industry in China, will have interiors designed by the Swedish architecture firm Koncept Stockholm.
Koncept Stockholm previously did the interiors for the Stockholm hotel Haymarket by Scandic. It is their first ship interior design project.
The focus will be on the travelling experience through the most beautiful archipelagos.

Photo: Koncept Stockholm

Finnlines to profit from the construction works in Naantali

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

The Port of Naantali has started to extend an existing quay from 178m to 228m in order to create additional vessel handling infrastructure.
This will support Finnlines’ plans to expand its traffic between Finland, Åland and Sweden, enabling Finnlines larger vessels to enter the port.
The €4m construction work has started in September 2017 and the works should be ready before May.

Photo © Port of Naantali

The hull of the first E-ferry arrived at the Søby Shipyard

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

Denmark’s first new 100% electric, 59,5m-long ferry, Ærøfærgerne’s ELLEN, arrived from Stettin in Poland, at the Søby Shipyard for completion.
Τhe objective of the E-ferry project is to demonstrate that a 100% electric, emission free, medium sized ferry can transport passengers, cars and trucks on longer distances than previously seen.
The ferry is designed for medium-range connections such as Søby – Fynshav (10.7 nm) and Søby – Faaborg (9.6 nm), but ranges of more than 20 nm are realistic.

Photo © Søby Shipyard

Watch the video of a modern Greek double-ended ferry launch

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

The Greek Theodoropoulos Shipyard launched ferry GLYKOFILOUSA IV on September 20. She’s a sistership to GLYKOFILOUSA V, which took the water in January 2017.
Both shortsea vessels are 107m long and feature space for 1,000 passengers and 236 cars. Interiors are very luxurious for such type of vessels.
They will first serve Salamina Island and are thereafter likely to be sold abroad.

The yard has published a highly professional video of the launch on YouTube

Source: Ferryvolution via Facebook
Photo © Theodoropoulos Group

Port of Dover warns Kent could become gridlocked post-Brexit

By 2017 Newsletter week 40

Queues of lorries will stretch back some 17 miles (27km) across Kent’s roads if Britain leaves the European Union without a deal, the Port of Dover has claimed.
Port of Dover produced a video, explaining how efficient trucks are being processed now, and how it would turn into a disaster if even only two minutes extra would be needed post-Brexit.
The video was shown at the Conservative party conference and can be seen on YouTube.

Source: Kent News and Port of Dover