October 26, 2017
- In France the national financial prosecutor’s office recently opened an investigation regarding the terms of takeover of the SNCM. Searches were carried out at the Office of Transport of Corsica and the companies of actors related to the purchase of SNCM. The prosecutor tries to understand what exactly happened when SNCM was taken over. More in particular, the question is why Corsica Linea promised to sell two ro-pax ferries –PAGLIA ORBA and MONTE D’ORO– for the price of EUR 10 million to the CTC (territorial collectivity of Corsica)
- UECC’s ro-ro BORE BAY is being chartered by GNV for the Genova – Civitavecchia – Naples – Palermo – Malta service.
- Intershipping charters ro-ro MAESTRO SUN for the Algeciras-Tanger Med route, replacing STENA CARRIER which is now working for CMA CGM. Intershipping also acquired double-ender VÄSTERVIK. She is going to be refurbished in Perama before going to the Strait of Gibraltar. Her new name will be MED STAR.
- Lack of staff in the Port of Calais. That’s the reason for the conflict between the unions and the management, which started on September 25 with blockades and walkouts. During a normally scheduled meeting the management agreed with the finding of the unions, and will look at solutions. So far no further strikes are planned.
- MOBY DADA and RHAPSODY are still on charter to the Spanish Government for the housing of police officers in Barcelona. MOBY DADA’s hull shows a big Tweety Pie, known from the Warner Bros. cartoons. In the meantime the yellow canary has become a symbol for the Catalan separatists, something that is not appreciated by Warner Bros. On social media you will find the hashtag #FreePiolin. Piolin is the Spanish name for Tweety.