Ferry – freight
- Total volumes in January 2023 were 6.0% below 2022. Volumes were 3.7% below 2022 adjusted for Channel that is impacted by a total market decrease and overcapacity.
- North Sea volumes were above last year due mostly to higher volumes between Sweden and Belgium.
- Mediterranean volumes were at the same level as last year following closure of the route between Turkey and Spain and transfer of its volumes to the route to France, which reduced volumes somewhat.
- Channel volumes were below last year following a continued decrease in the total market and a negative impact from the entry of Irish Ferries.
- Baltic Sea volumes remained negatively impacted by the war in Ukraine.
- For the last twelve months 2023-22, the total transported freight lane metres decreased 4.3% to 41.6m from 43.4m in 2022-21. The decrease was 1.7% adjusted for Channel.
Ferry – passenger
- The number of passengers continued to recover and more than tripled to 172k equal to 79% of volumes in January 2019, the latest comparable month pre-Covid-19.
- The number of cars also equalled 79% of volumes in 2019.
- For the last twelve months 2023-22, the total number of passengers was 3.9m compared to 0.9m in 2022-21 and 5.1m in 2019.