Scotland: New “Freight Plus Ferries” For Northern Isles?
Transport Scotland is looking at new replacement “freight plus” vessels for the Northern Isles ferry route. Emphasis would be on freight, but there should be extra space for passengers to help with capacity in peak times and dry dock periods.
- 40% more lane metres than on HELLIAR and HILDASAY (1k)
- 200 pax in 60 cabins + pods + reclining seats
- Faster: crossing 10h instead of 14
- Dual fuel LNG
- Business case could potentially be approved by the middle of 2022, with a nine-month tendering process then taking place.
- The construction period then could take 27 to 30 months.